Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wok this way

I ended the food show with a bang.  A last glimpse at the booth's and vendors that I missed the previous day, a few more stops at the Orlando Brewery, and a round of applause to the "Taste of Elegance," (pork) competition winner Wendy L.  I bid adieu to another successful food show and head out the double doors, through the sea of white coats, shirt and ties, and Segway's.

The day is young, the portions were small at the show, and Colonial is on the way home.  Well not exactly but Chinese sounds fantastic right about now.  A drive down 50, a stop at a traffic light, and I spot our lunch...Tasty Wok, A Chinese BBQ & Noodle House.  We walk in, I throw up a peace sign and a Cantonese greeting and I feel at home...not that I am Chinese but I now realize that maybe I should be.  We get seated, open the menu, flip passed the American section, and start with the real stuff.

 In the pork mood, seeing that awesome pork trophy at the food show, I decided to order up some fried and braised pork skin.  Couple that with some scallion pancakes and a Hong Kong milk tea then we are down to business.  You know your ordering the good stuff when they ask you "Have you had this before?"  Yes, yes...I know what I am getting myself into, gelatinous goodness of pork and fat, fried then braised in soya sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch.  Toss in some turnips and scallions and that is a dish my friend.
The scallion pancake was dense, slightly sweet, and full on scallion flavor.  Scallion in the cake, scallion in the pork...that is called bridging.  On to the next course.

Combination platter on fragrant rice.  Soya chicken, sliced BBQ pork, and roast duck with the most succulent crispy skin that I have seen and tasted in a long time.  Chinese broccoli and a side of dipping sauce and your doing well for only 7 bucks!  mmmm five spice, how I love thee.

   You cannot walk into a shop like this and not see what they have on the special board.  "Crispy Quail," some of my two favorite words put together.  The bird comes out, fried to perfection, and a side of salt laced with MSG.  I am sorry for the 1% that has a reaction to the miracle salt but a salt that taste like meat, belongs on meat...that's all I am saying.  There was not much left of this bird when I was done with it...meat, bones, cartilage, all the same to me.

Our waitress comes over, I tell her (in Cantonese) "It was great, we are full," so she knows that I know what's up and she fires back with a bow and a "thank you!" That my friend is how you get the Chinese discount.  Walking out the door, my eye catches a whole plate of chopped up peking duck, and a big bowl of noodles.  Oh I will be back....I WILL be back!

1 comment: