Thursday, July 14, 2011

Damn you Mezcal...diaries of Cancun pt1

When I used to reflect and think about Mexico, all that would immediately come to mind was the high traffic tourist meccas (i.e. Acapulco,Tijuana,Cabo, etc.) where miles and miles of precious beaches are invaded and packed by the typical obnoxious, drunk, tourist. So I can honestly say that the 'agoraphobe' in me wasn't too thrilled, specially being the official start of summer, June. Upon arrival to the hotel in Cancun, I must admit I was still nervous and pretentious about what to expect. One thing was for sure, I go where my stomach wants and this specific resort had plenty to offer: a late night tapas bar, late bar/lounge, churrasqueria, cevicheria, traditional Mexican, and fine dining Italian. Let the games begin!

(To avoid explanations on every single thing I did and saw while my stay, I will be mainly focusing on the food followed by a mini slideshow of some great pictures. Enjoy)
Cevicheria







After picking up my restaurant itinerary and hours of operation and dropping off my bags at the suite, I made a b-line for the cevicheria. Seemed perfect for the ubber hot weather we were having and I was craving an ice cold one sooo bad. I know there is an unwritten law of "pace yourself, its an all inclusive/all-you-can-eat hotel", but screw it, I'm here to do some damage. "I'd like a margarita, a Modelo, an octopus ceviche, a bay scallop ceviche, baja California fish tacos, and a tostada mixta". First off, don't judge me,and secondly, I can't even begin to describe the freshness and boldness of the seafood. The sweetness of the scallops, against the acidity of the lime, savory notes of onion and pepper, and the refreshing taste of cilantro. The octopus was some of the most tender I have ever had, and I usually don't even eat octopus because of the chewy texture that has ruined it for me forever. The chunks of avocado added the right amount of fat and creaminess needed to cut through all the acid and brine.





Second round of margaritas for me and the lady, and the fish tacos arrive. Battered and fried morsels of fresh grouper. Can't go wrong with that at all. The only downfall was the rather bland cabbage slaw. I think LBC studios has one up on our Mexican brothers with some fish tacos we did back in May. Just saying' Lol. The tostada was the real shocker though. Fried tortilla, topped with a sprinkle of Oaxaca cheese, shredded lettuce, mix of octopus, grouper, shrimp, scallop ceviches, and avocado. I mean, come on, you can't deny this isn't already making your mouth water. Needless to say this app became my go-to for the rest of my trip. Did I mention that they even serve you while you're laying out in the sand steps away from the beach? Yes my friends, this is what I am talking about.



Hmmm, seeing though we were still a little hungry, we decided to order just a few more items to "seal the deal". Calamari, fried swordfish, and 'coctel' mixto. The calamari was decent, if anything I would've liked a little bit more. The fried fish was realy moist and tender, and I have a hunch that it was friend in lard (I say this because I had red snapper fried in lard since I was practically in diapers). The dish would've been perfect for me if it was served with a side of fried plantains 'tostones' and some picked red onions. Killer! The 'coctel' mixto was a perfect ending to the cornucopia of appetizers we had in a matter of an hour. Sweet yellow onions, mixed ceviche, tomato chunks, avocado pieces, and that savory tomato sauce that I simply cannot tell you how good it is. My guess on ingredients is Worcestershire sauce, tomato juice, tobasco, and a hint of horseradish.

Ok kids, it is at this point that I am slowly slipping into a food coma and my heart couldn't be any happier. Two beers and two margaritas a piece later, and I'm throwing the towel in. Time to waddle back to the room, switch to a bathing suit, sit by the pool and pace myself a little. Or not, whatever.








3 comments:

  1. The 'coctel' sounds like a seafood bloody mary. Nom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... hakushu 12

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great, I remember having something like this when I was on Jewish tour in Buenos Aires in South America.

    ReplyDelete