Sunday, May 1, 2011

Jimmy Hulas

So I was driving down Aloma and I saw this brightly colored building that had awesome patio seating.  I am a sucker for covered "porch" style seating.  "Fish taco's, burgers, and beer," it says, a good mantra to live by in my book so I stop in to check it out.  This is what I find.


You walk in, order, take a number, and have a seat.  You can see the kitchen just beyond the registers, and things are clean on the other side of the window, looking forward to a meal here.  Decent beer selection and the prices are hard to beat.  Love the atmosphere; laid back, open air, and friendly staff.  Order is in, beer in hand, time to hit the outside deck.


   The chili was great, I could identify the individual flavors, the portion size was just right, and so was the price.  A little rustic..yes, but I rather them spend the money on the food and how they prepare it, than making sure those scallions are all even.  Their choice in serving vessels just bring the ambiance to a full circle.

 Left: Caribbean Pork: Citrus pulled roast pork that was just nailed!  I couldn't ask for anything more.  The citrus really popped, just the right amount of salt, and tender, tender, tender.  Topped with the usuals, well done.
Right: Loco Chicken: Not overcooked, properly executed, little on the sweet side.  Also probably best on the grilled tortilla it is usually served on.
Below: A little queso dip to go with the chips.  Cheese... enough said.
Top: Voodoo Fish Taco:  Grilled mahi, that was cooked just right and one of the freshest fruit salsas I have had in awhile.  Something they call voodoo sauce and it is all a great balance. 
Bottom: Pipeline Pork:  That same citrus pulled pork with some pickles on a toasted bun..done! The fried things are supposed to be their "corn hush puppies,"     think fried creamed corn...good...just not a hush puppy.  Again, for a few bucks, hard to beat a simple, well executed meal.
(Fried onion petals, curly fries, and jalapeno's.)

 Have to say it, for a chain...I am quite impressed, but hey, do things right and people will come.  They are nailing the techniques, executing the food at a high level, and keeping the food simple, clean, and fresh, as far as I can tell.  Someone back in the kitchen is tasting the food and re-seasoning things. Promote that guy or girl keep it up and LBC will be back!  

2 comments:

  1. We love this place too! The outside seating, casual atmosphere and really fresh ingredients won me over from the beginning. Love the pineapple mango salsa too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horrible food and even worse service. I will never go to their Winter Park or UCF area location again.

    ReplyDelete