Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tahini Cafe




I walk in, grab a menu, and make a B-line to the couch, for it was screaming my name.  The menu had all the usual suspects of a Mediterranean gill and the prices are beyond reasonable (as long as the portions match up.)  Pita's, platters, salads, baked goods with coffee, and smoothies.  Fresh fruit, honey, milk, done.  The way a smoothie should be...always! I am already loving this place.




Chicken Platter:  I ordered two chicken platters, which I was debating because I was going for variety, but I needed my lean protein for the day.  I am glad I made this decision when I got home and opened the boxes to find two preparations.  The top picture is pulled dark meat whereas the bottom picture is roasted white meat. Now I am not positive if they did this on purpose since I ordered two of the same platters.  Or if you can specifically order white or dark meat.  Either way you're in for a treat.  Hummus, Greek or tabouli salad, rice, and yogurt round out your platter.  You can taste the attention to detail.  Citrus, herbs, olive oil, and select spices.  All placed with precision and all playing well together.  Best seven bucks I have spent all day.     
  


Falafel Pita:  Right off bat I admire that they grilled the pita.  The bread was also fresh tasting, and I mention this because I have run into countless locations with stale dry pita.  Not here my friends!  A look inside and the first thing that catches my eye is the pickle.  An unfamiliar condiment but in terms of flavor profile...makes perfect sense.  If you think about it, your common pickle as all the flavors of tzatziki minus the yogurt.  I appreciate that they used romaine lettuce instead of shredded iceberg, for I am a big fan of my greens.  Tomato, red onion, and yogurt all in place as expected.  Now for the falafel...exquisite!  Creamy with yet a slight crunch on its exterior.  Not overly seasoned and the amount in the pita was just right. I have found my new favorite pita in Orlando.    


Greek Salad:  Like I said, I am a fan of my greens.  They nailed the classic "Greek" salad for three monumental reasons.

  1. The tomatoes were fresh, fresh.
  2. They gave me lots of feta.
  3. There are whole plucked herbs in the salad! Thank you!




Baklava:  One of my favorite coffee accompaniments.  Honey, nuts, and flaky pastry...all perfect with a dark roast.  What separates this one apart from others I have had around the city is the two thick layers of filling and the quality of the honey.
    

Almond Banana Nut Bread:  With its own section on the menu and 8 selections to choose from, I couldn't resist but to order up a few slices.  Not overly sweet, a perfect crumb, and the almonds made for a highly enjoyable banana bread.   What hit it home for me was the fact that they "seasoned" their quick bread.  Salt does wonders to baked goods and lucky for us Tahini knows this as well.  Also amongst their baked goods are little things dubbed "cashew fingers."  Those did not make it home, for I ate them in the car, enough said.

Consensus:  Food is solid, baked goods are humble, smoothies are bangin', and the price is right.  Oh and the portions matched up, you get what you pay for, fo sho.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tahini-Cafe/210661315624316

2 comments:

  1. Terri, it's at 3200 Alafaya Trail, Oviedo, FL. About one minute north of the UCF campus.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3100+alafaya+trail+oviedo&hl=en&sll=28.624827,-81.207958&sspn=0.015087,0.019655&vpsrc=0&gl=us&t=h&z=17

    ReplyDelete