Thursday, September 23, 2010

La Bonne Crepe, c'est bonne...

Like my partner in crime had mentioned in a previous post, it is hard to find a decent breakfast joint in this city. As a person that usually skips this "oh so important meal of the day", whether is time restraint, or just simply not hungry at that time of the day. Surprisingly enough, it seems that we both have found good experiences in Ft. Lauderdale. Figures, I had to drive 2.5 hours just to find a delicious, well-prepared breakfast.

Taking a stroll through Las Olas Blvd., I happened to spot this small creperie by accident. The thought of a soft, thin pancake, stuffed with goodies sounded like a deal too hard to pass up, and my appetite soon convinced my brain to give in.

We took a seat outside the patio, the gloomy weather deemed it appropriate to just relax in the open air, taking it all in. The server came by, and with her beautiful, thick french accent proceeded to take our order. As diminutive as this observation seems, it somehow raised my expectations that this place surely was authentic and probably as close to traditional as you can get.

We started with a cafe au lait, and a cappuccino. Both with just the right amount of dairy, and with enough kick to bring us back from the dead. The toasted baguette points came soon after. What to eat, what to eat? We decided to go with the smoked salmon appetizer(saumon fume). Served with caper berries, pickled white onions, and a horse-radish cream. God knows I love to play with my food, and this appetizer was perfect for that purpose. One had to build their own canapes with as much, or as little accompaniments as one desired. I enjoyed eating this little snack, just as much as I enjoyed preparing each delicious bite.





We followed the salmon appetizer with, of course, a crepe. Stuffed with home-made fennel sausage, scrambled eggs, and gruyere cheese, it was everything I felt I was missing from skipping many-a-breakfasts. The crepe was light and just slightly crispy, the sausage was super aromatic and perfectly seasoned, the eggs were cooked to perfection, tender and soft. For the size of it all, it seemed like a bargain, I thought.


I can say I left a happy patron that day, without a dent in the wallet, and a belly full. If you are ever in the area, I would recommend you take a walk down this street for many other small restaurants. Time and weather didn't allow me to explore more, but I'm sure there are more jewels to be found. As an Orlando resident, I can only compare this street to our very own Park Avenue, Winter Park. Also, if you get a chance, check out Schokolad, an interesting chocolatier shop with many treats to offer.

Breakfast has just gained a mustard grain of hope, as far as I'm concerned. Let's see if I can find an interesting breakfast joint I can call my own in my own city. This food enthusiast only hopes.

Your truly,
Happy Patron.

No comments:

Post a Comment