Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A new meaning to the "Trash" sandwich

I carry an exceedingly abridged draft of food stuffs that I could consume on a day to day basis and if done well, the all mighty, influential, and preeminent sandwich tops the list.  I am, in some ways, on a sabbatical for finding a real live delicatessen in Orlando.  I have been in countless deli's, sub shops, hoagie stands, and "sandwicheria's" (please explain that last one to me) only to witness Boar's Head or worse in the case, chicken tender sandwiches on the menu, and monogrammed deli paper.  Not that Boar's Head is an inferior product or a chicken tender sandwich does not have its place, but I want to see a meat or two hanging from the ceiling, house made roast beef and pastrami, maybe at least one fresh baked bread or a homemade pickle, and please just roll it in some butcher paper and save me the cost of your advertising.  I digress...

Just for now, I am going to pause, and assume that Orlando is comfortable with the fact that the deli is best in the hands of the Northeast and look for shops with potential right here in my own city. That being said, Pom Pom's "Teahouse and Sandwicheria," will be the first I write about.

With two locations in Orlando, I find myself stopping in at their newest location on University.  One foot in the door and your surrounded by wall to wall "chalkboard" tagged with graffiti art and your daily specials.  The crowd, prodominantly indie, plaid shirts, ripped jean shorts, and chucks.  The music in the background is streaming from the MacBook on the bar playing various artists from Patsy Cline to Modest Mouse. A good vibe here but its has one too many college students for me to have my meal here.  I ask for a menu and tell them I will be taking it Togo.

I fire off  twenty questions and get the skinny on this place.  All the meats are purchased but the chutney's, slaws, aioli's, dressings, and salsas are all made in house.  As the eclectic, reserved, and baffling teen was giving me the low down on the menu, I am looking past her and sketched on the wall was a blueprint of a sandwich, "Mama's lil Linebacker," it was dubbed and I am instantly intrigued.

 
Bread
Cheddar
Sweet potato fries
Bacon and Roast Beef
Onions and Bread
Cheddar
Pomme Frites and Turkey
Cole Slaw and Bread
Tomato
Pastrami
Cheddar
Bread

From top to bottom I am pretty sure that was the order of things.  Now I love a trash sandwich from time to time (usually just to wrap it up tight, throw it in the fridge, and eat it next day) but this was just ridiculous.  Ordering it purely because I felt I had to conquer the multi layered, carb enriched, incoherent sandwich, I almost regret my decision.  Weighing in just shy of two pounds, as I made my through each layer I found that the horseradish cream that came with the additional order of "hand cut" fries was the perfect condiment for this beast, and the amount I put on it probably tipped the scale over the 32oz mark. Which was one of two complaints I had about this uber stack; 1. it was a little dry and needed the extra moisture 2. dry is what you would expect with four slices of white bread.  I took the two inner slices out, gave the sandwich a squeeze, and I was completely satisfied. The Turkey with Ginger cranberry chutney, Cream Cheese, Smoked Gouda and Red Onions on rye bread was actually delicious, a little sweet, but delicious none the less.

As for the tea, Pom Pom's have earned the right to call themselves a "teahouse." A liberal selection to teas, an appreciation for the craft, and the knowledge to discuss it with you.  I ask for one that is really going to speak to me.  Putting my trust in the girl behind the bar, she brings me Rooibos Love, a red tea with a herbal and fruity nose.  A taste similar to the smell, this tea is balanced, true, and perfect.

A far cry for the delicatessen that I loan for, but a good stop for some interesting and creative ideas between two slices of bread...well four in my case.   

No comments:

Post a Comment