Friday, January 28, 2011

Space Brain @ Odin's Den


I am breaking out, got to change, 5 min and I am gone.  So what am I in for tonight, I got your link and I listened to some of their tracks...I dig, they sound pretty hardcore :B
F: When the topic of metal and hardcore come into a conversation, one would usually name bands such as Shai Hulud from New York, Pantera from Texas, Hatebreed from Connecticut. But what about Florida? Better yet, why not Orlando? Your impatience need no longer wait I say. Introducing Space Brain, a multi cultural, multi talented band that comes at your eardrums with no apologies and with a double dose of brutal, in your face sound and attitude that metal is loved/hated for. As they have stated themselves, they bring a heavy, yet soulful style of metal that eerily reminded me of bands such as A.N.I.M.A.L., Soulfly and Sepultura, and the "back off, get the f#@ out of my face" attitude from their southerncore alter ego, reminded me of great bands such as Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Throwdown, and of course the great Pantera.

F: @Brian. So where are you? This thing is about to start, the crowd here is waiting impatiently and the beers are flowing like wine. Did I mention they serve premium domestic brews? Oh and don't worry about food, I noticed a food truck by the door.

S#^t, am I missing sound check?!?! and I get it...they are going to be awesome, I am  in my car. By the way, glad you're having fun... I am unbuttoning my jacket with one hand, (second gear,) and throwing on my chucks with the other, (third gear,) GPS is saying I am not going to make it to Odin's Den on time, (fourth.)  Everyone at work is blowing up my phone cause I bounced without saying goodbye and they think I am somewhere downstairs. 
:B

I am in the parking lot, I already like this place, I am 5 yards from the door and the sign says I am only going to be out $5 to stick around for the show...damn good deal, be inside in a second. 
:B

The guy at the door cant break a $20, so I had to run back to the car, but you know what I saw on the way out? FOOD!  Order me a Jai Alai, taking your advice from your review on the blog (check it out HERE,) and I will be in a second.  I am feeling the crowd, my kind of people... the street kids, indie's, and I think I saw a old guy in a trench coat....should be fun.
:B
F: ( Insert about an hour of gruesome, brutal metal in here).............          

So what did you think? :B
F: From start to finish, they brought it on mercilessly, not holding back. The Venezuelan guitar duo of brothers Gustavo and Nelson seem to be in perfect sync, and with matching anger and energy. Bass player Carlos, really lets a heavy rhythmic bass fall on all tracks and plays flawlessly at a blink-of-an-eye speed. Drummer Kevin, keeps the whole group in check with a double pedal machine gun metronome that is on point a-la Vinnie Paul circa Vulgar Display of Power. Last, but not least, we have Denni, lead singer, with his gut wrenching vocals, this banshee of a man brought the pipes and attitude that sets this band apart in my opinion. Climbing on chairs, amplifiers, tables, even bar booths, he made sure you knew what band was playing and that you would not forget who they are for a long time, SPACE BRAIN.





Agreed, and what did I tell you?...it is not a mosh pit until some white guy takes off his shirt.  Good times!  Good show!  Space Brian delivered. Tell you what though, the bar being the size it is, they did an awesome job with keeping the drinks coming.  Hard to do with the vocalist on the bar, so props to them. This just might be my new hideout.  
:B  


Now finish that beer, Bruno Bites is calling my name, his chalk board menu says "Gypsy Steak," has to be good...right? 
:B



Toasted bun, cheese whiz, steak, peppers, and sriracha...perfect after a kick a$$ band, some great beers, and a good crowd.  I am just about home, tell the bass player not to be so modest next time, he and the rest of the band f^ing rocked!  Good find, even better music...out.
:B 
F: If you would like to know more about Space Brain ( i.e. tour, mp3's booking, etc), please visit the artist's pages at : Purevolume , Reverb Nation , and Facebook .



No comments:

Post a Comment