Monday, January 31, 2011

2011foodandfitness (Jan-March)

O.k. so I know what you are thinking.  If we are focusing all of our extracurricular energy on eating out, finding trucks, and taking a seat at the bar, then we must be on a path for self destruction.  You would normally be right, but "awareness," is half the battle my friend.  We think we can have our cake and eat it too.  So for 2011 we decided to launch a new idea, and put ourselves up for public humiliation.  A scare tactic to get us in shape and keep us that way, and who doesn't like to see a little competition between to friends?

bmoll 
January "operation: awareness"


Since I lack time, effort, and patience in counting calories, nor do I believe in the practice, I am going with a high protein, low carb diet.  I will also seek out a high intake in vegetation and non animal proteins. I am allowing myself any alcohol beverage in moderation that is distilled but not aged in barrels (sugars found in the wood could throw off my progress.) Since I am not a fan of soda's or artificial sweeteners, water and "black," coffee will be the majority of the liquids I will consume. Red wine well be included but will only limit myself to one glass on any given "non" cheat day. The cheat day will be once a week where I will actually attempt to break all rules, push myself to the limit, and keep myself sane!

January will be my attempt to track my size, weight, and be aware of the food that I am feeding my body, nothing else.  No exercise, no supplements, no cheating (except the one day.)
  
I have included a slide show of my daily intake of food.  It has been said that if you recapture what you have been consuming on a day-to-day biases you are more likely to make smarter or healthier decisions throughout your day. It is a subconscious thing I'm told.







Jan 3:  I started the new year right with an all out free-for-all on food and drink, so here all my results after three hardcore days of 2011.

All my measurements will be taken every Monday morning as soon as I wake up.  I am using a home digital scale and will continue to use the same one for each weigh-in to keep progress accurate and consistent. 

Left Leg    (LL):  21½"    @ Belly Button    (N): 39½"    Weigh in: 180 lbs! (no goody)
Right Leg  (RL): 22"       Chest:                  (C): 42"  
Left Arm   (LA): 14"       Gluteus Maximus (jlo): 40½"
Right Arm (RA): 14"      Pant size: 34

Jan 10:  Weighed in @ 173# this morning, I assume it was mostly water weight since I am being very diligent with my high protein diet.  Mondays are my "there are no rules," cheat day since I am not at work.  I have been craving a sub, too bad I have not found a decent delicatessen in Orlando, but I will seek out meat and cheese between some bread today.

Jan 17: Jumped on the scale this morning  and was kind of disappointed. 171 lbs. the scale says, so I break out the tape to see what is going on.

Left Leg    (LL):  21½"    @ Belly Button    (N): 39"        
Right Leg  (RL): 22"       Chest:                  (C): 40"      
Left Arm   (LA): 14"       Gluteus Maximus (jlo): 39½"  
Right Arm (RA): 14"      Pant size: 33                        

O.k. so it was not a total loss, I am losing inches in all the right places.  I guess I was right about the water weight in the first week. Cheat day on! Cheeseburger, pizza, fries? or all three =)

Jan 24: A little upset this morning.  I am at the bottom of 170 but did not break it this passed week. I told myself in the beginning that I would not concern myself with the pounds but I really wanted to get in the 60's, I've been there before...I like it.  To keep myself discouraged and motivated I am not going to measure up this week.  Headed into week four, 10 pounds dropped, and not a single act of exercise.  Keeping it simple.

Jan 31: I have hit my plateau. Measurements have not changed so no need to post them.  I have been true to my diet, except I did throw in an extra cheat day this week but it was well worth it I assure you. It was one of those "an offer you can't refuse," situations.  After fighting with the scale this morning I did manage to get it to say that I have made my way into the 160's.  I will spare all of you the details of this accomplishment.  Just under 4 weeks and a total loss of 10 pounds and just shy of 5 inches.  Not bad for no exercise, tracking what you eat and drink, and being "aware" of where your body is at every Monday morning.  I would have to say being the lazy healthy guy as been successful.  Operation: awareness... mission accomplished.  

My plan is to carb up on my cheat day and move into February with a whole new mission and goal in mind. You can follow in the 2011 Food and Fitness section located in the tabs under "The LUNCHBOX."

Be mindful, eat well, do nothing!

February: I used this month as base line.  It appears that I hit my cap for weight loss using diet and awareness alone, but could I maintain my weight with little to no effort? The verdict...yes!
Following my high protein, low carb, and no exercise diet that includes a cheat day that is nothing more than shameful, I was able to stay at 170 +/- and no added inches.  Not bad, but now its time to go "super sane."

March: So I came across a unique situation.  The company that I work for has an event every March and requires my presents beyond my normal shift.  Since I would be practically moving into the kitchen for the month I wanted to use this as an opportunity to run a test I was waiting to do towards the end of the year. I know life can get hectic from time to time and throw you off your game or special occasions come up that pull you off your routine.  I used March to mimic these situations and decided to record the results.  I wanted to track just exactly how long would it take for me to reverse my results.  As I moved into March I started to strip away the walls of my diet. First thing to go....breakfast.  The earlier shifts came and so did breakfast pastries with my coffee.  Lunch never really changed, and although I knew I tossed out all the rules for the month I actually enjoy eating the way I do on my "diet." Dinner was the biggest change, working long hours practically eliminated dinner and left me with bad decisions to fill the void when I got home.  Nobody wants to cook a meal when they get home at 2 a.m.  All I wanted to do was eat something and get in the bed.  Sandwiches from p.b.&j's to Italian cold cuts on ciabatta, needless to say I was carbing up hard.  Now I did not want to totally undo all of my progress so I stopped at halfway.  It took 3 weeks, each one progressively
worse than the next, to start adding pounds (with no change in inches.)  I now know that I can hit up a cruise or take a much needed vacation, pull all stops, and not undo "all" my hard work.  My five pounds will be easy to shed again, and I have one week left in March to do it.  How do you rebound from a blow to your regime?  Find out in April.  

No comments:

Post a Comment