Monday, October 11, 2010

Ice cream, you scream, we all scream for Humphry's...



Twenty-year aged balsamic vinegar, chili powder, ales & stout, foie gras, Boccalone prosciutto, golden beets and Szechuan peppercorns. Not usually the first ingredients that come to mind when you think about ice cream right? Well, leave it to San Francisco and the good old folks at Humphry Slocombe (www.humphryslocombe.com) to completely change your mind about ice cream and not-the-usual ingredients. Voted one of the best 10 ice cream parlors in the country, I'd have to be a fool to not check it out during my short stay in the city by the bay.

Located in the Mission district, a place known for its diverse ethnicities and multicultural stores and restaurants. Seems like its the perfect location for such an uncommon, revelatory vision. Located just a short walking distance from the city's subway system (corner of Harrison St. & 24th), its a definitely must visit if you are ever in town.

Having previously read the many articles and press written about this place, I already had a preconceived idea of what to expect, more or less. Or did I? I knew they are well-known for making the unimaginable, well..., possible and improbably good. I knew that they have been thought of as "mad scientists of ice cream", "upscale ice creamery", but I wasn't expecting the level of understanding about the balance of flavors, and textures that clearly they have mastered. Using only basic, pure, organic ingredients, they have figured out how to extract the most flavor as they possibly can to create their signature ice cream. Did I mention they make about 50 to 60 flavors, rotating 12 different ice cream flavors every day, sometimes twice a day? Sounds confusing? To that also add about 20 different sorbet flavors, also on daily rotation. Clearly it is a labor of love, passion, and creativity.





Upon walking in, I noticed how simple and detail oriented the place was. A couple of art pieces adorned the walls, the traditional ice cream glass window display was spotless, and of course the two-headed mascot that hung from wall greeting us upon our entry. I was surprised to see how busy this place was, in spite of its size, leading me to know that its a local favorite, as well for foreigners alike. Anxiously I awaited my turn to order. The choices, oh the choices. On this occasion I went with the six most interesting flavors (balsamic caramel, ancho chocolate, and vanilla black sesame seed), and also a recommendation from the host (secret breakfast). He suggested the latter with a smile as he handed us a sample of this interesting concoction. He says "Can you guess what it is?". Dumbfounded, I have no idea what to respond to him. Turns out it was combination of bourbon and corn flakes. Yes, corn flakes, it was evil genius good. The price? Well, surprisingly inexpensive. About what you would pay for a mediocre banana split at your local Dairy Queen.

Eagerly I take my four scoops of velvety ice cream in a recycled paper bowl and recycled plastic cutlery(it is San Francisco, need I remind you), and quickly dig in. First ,the balsamic caramel. Perfect balance of that molasses/syrup/grape must flavor that you would expect from an aged balsamic vinegar, with the extra sweetness of a salty caramel. Not too tangy, not too sweet, just perfect. Next up, the ancho chocolate. Ubber decadent chocolate flavor, creamy and rich, with just a hint of cinnamon and ancho chilies. It reminded me of Mexican chocolate with a light cinnamon taste, a nuance of smokiness, and a slight kick in the end from the ancho. The black sesame ice cream was not too far off as well. Super creamy vanilla, and the light toasted sesame flavor, with an added visual flavor characteristic and color contrast. This one made me think of Chinese sesame balls, filled with a sweet mung bean paste, but better. Last, but not least, the mysterious "secret breakfast" ice cream. Right away you could smell and taste the bourbon, and the texture of the corn flakes made this one a success. It did make me wonder two things though. First, who would put these two together and call it breakfast? Second, why don't I know this person? Either way, it was a very enjoyable combination.








Honestly, I am glad I stumbled upon this location online, and it was well worth the subway ride and the walk to get there. Besides me becoming an instant fan of their delectable creations, I have also come to respect and admire their commitment to simple good food, and their close involvement with the community. Using local ingredients, supporting the local farmers and growers, and investing in the neighborhood schools and parks, certainly is a quality that I find very noble and noteworthy from the guys at Humphry's, not to mention responsible. Amazing ice cream, great concept, friendly/knowledgeable staff, and socially conscious. You still need a reason to visit Humphry Slocombe? If not for the above mentioned, check them out for their amazing frozen desserts. Did I already mention they have amazing ice cream? Good.


No comments:

Post a Comment