Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wine...The Good, The Cheap, The uncomplicated...

1982 Margaux anyone? Perhaps a bottle of Châteauneuf du Pape? Intimidating? Confusing? Guess what...it's all just grape drink, juice, bottled fermented fruits.  

It does not have to be about notes of this, hints of that, bouquets, legs, or vintages.  It is not that pretentious or exaggerated, and it most certainly does not have to be overwhelming.  Sure the aisles and wine lists are full of bad wines, and as clichĂ© as it may sound, "You can't judge a book by its cover."  Price is most certainly not an indicator either, trust me.  Only way to figure it out? Try em all!  A task I am willing to endure just your you guys ;)


The Deal: I will keep it cheap, I will keep it local, (I am talking purchasing not origin,) and I will keep it simple.  So here is the new format in wine purchasing.    



The Location: Albertsons 
The Juicer: Gnarly Head  http://www.gnarlyhead.com/  
The Color: (Red) Old Vine Zin "Lodi Zinfandel"
The Strength: 14.5% alc by vol.
The Debut : 2008
Taste of: Think a spiked acai or berry blast smoothie, just without the ice (but in this case, ice could be good)
The Food to Come: Ditch the stemware, break out the rocks glass, throw in a few cubes of ice, and turn on the grill. You do not have to be so uptight about wine, forget the rules, a little frozen water is not going to destroy your bottle.  Flavors of something sweet, tangy, or fatty come to mind when drinking this wine.  Such as a BBQ... actually,  Kurobuta Pork tacos from Sushi Pop would be perfect!
Thoughts & Such: I mentioned ice because I found this wine to be refreshing with some chill on it, giving it more of a sangria feeling.   When I first opened the bottle I enjoyed my first glass at room temperature.  Now I know that is not going to be the same for everyone reading, but here...on this day, room temp was 78ÂşF.  Also, I noticed that this wine goes down hill fast, completely different beast on day two.  Suggestion...kill the bottle with or without company upon opening.    

No comments:

Post a Comment